A monthly overview of Internet governance and digital policy developments and activities in
South Eastern Europe and the neighouring area (SEE+)
Launched in September 2016, the SEEsummary – a one of a kind initiative in the region – provides a monthly overview of Internet governance and digital policy developments and activities occurring in SEE+.
Updates covered in the summary are structured around Internet and digital policy issues, such as infrastructure, cybersecurity, human rights online, e-commerce, and the digital divide. For this purpose, we use the classification of Internet and digital policy issues developed by DiploFoundation and showcased in the Geneva Internet Platform Digital Watch Observatory.
In partnership with DiploFoundation and the Geneva Internet Platform
- Greece: Government launches a public consultation on a framework agreement for the WiFi4GR project meant to provide public broadband wireless access points.
- Montenegro: OSCE Media Freedom Representative publishes legal review of the country's Electronic Media Law.
- Romania: Authorities launch a unique phone number for reporting cybersecurity incidents. Ministry of Transport publishes a draft government ordinance to regulate ride-hailing services.
- Serbia: The start-up ecosystem is growing and is dominated by gaming and blockchain. Share Foundation calls on large tech companies to appoint data protection representatives in the country.
- Turkey: Personal Data Protection Authority fines Facebook and investigates Microsoft for data breaches.
- Ukraine: Public authorities are discussing the prospects of launching 5G in 2020.
- Greece, Romania and Slovenia endorse OECD Principles on AI.
- SEE+: Countries in SEE+ are not very well prepared to take advantage of the benefits of artificial intelligence, according to the 2019 edition of the Government AI Index.
- Also included: a list of upcoming events (June 2019) and an overview of upcoming capacity development and engagement opportunities for SEE+ stakeholders.
Take a look at previous issues of the SEEsummary to see what has happened in the SEE+ region since September 2016.
- Maja Ćalović | Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Andrijana Gavrilović | Serbia
- Su Sonia Herring | Turkey
- Loreta Kroj | Albania
- Olga Kyryliuk | Ukraine
- Marko Paloski | North Macedonia
- Efthymia Papadopoulou | Greece
- Oliana Sula | Albania
The SEEsummary is produced on a best effort basis, by our team of volunteer editors. Each month, the editors scan local and regional media, as well as websites of public institutions and other organisations, and compile what they find to be some of the most significant digital policy developments.
The SEEsummary does not claim to be a comprehensive source of information. Despite our efforts, we may miss some things happening across the region. To help us cover as many significant developments as possible, we invite you to share with us news from your countries.
While we do our best to double-check the information we cover, and we always provide links to the sources, we acknowledge the fact that errors might appear in our summaries. Please rest assured that such errors are never made on purpose. And we always stand ready to correct them.
For any corrections or contributions to our summaries, please contact SEESummary coordinator Sorina Teleanu, at editors[at]seedig.net.