SEEDIG Youth School
Class of 2020
The SEEDIG Youth School is a capacity development initiative targeted at undergraduate and master students originally from, or residing in a country in South Eastern Europe and the neighbouring area (SEE+).
The purpose of the programme is to offer regional youth a space to learn, network, exchange ideas, and prepare to actively participate in SEEDIG and other Internet governance and digital policy processes. Another goal is to encourage more youth to become long-term contributing members of SEEDIG and broader Internet governance and digital policy processes.
One of the final elements of the Youth School programme was a debate on facial recognition technologies (FRT).
Students were divided into three teams – civil society, governments, and private sector – and were asked to debate on whether tech companies should be allowed to sell FRT to law enforcement agencies (LEAs).
Below is the outcome of the debate, as agreed by the three teams.
Consensus document on the application of facial recognition technology by law enforcement agencies
Memorandum of understanding between governments of SEE+ countries,
civil society organisations, and private sector representatives
Agreement: This Memorandum of understanding is an acknowledgment that FRT technologies will be implemented in SEE+ countries in line with the following principles.
- Enesa Bosnjo, Izmir Katip Celebi University, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Irina Buzu, Free International University of Moldova, Moldova
- Maria Christopoulou, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
- Zülal Erdoğan, Galatasaray University, Turkey
- Mariia Manevych, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine
- Darya Markevich, Belarusian State University, Belarus
- Andreja Mihailovic, University Union, Montenegro
- Seda Mohul, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Neli Odishvili, University of Georgia, Georgia
- Nikita Ovod, National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute”, Ukraine
- Katsiaryna Pushkarova, European Humanities University, Belarus
- Sofia Sorokina, Saint Petersburg University, Russian Federation
- Alexandru Sotropa, Maastricht University, Romania
- Kladjola Spahiu, University of Tirana, Albania
- Anna Trushkina, National University Odessa, Ukraine
- Mariam Tsiklauri, University of Georgia, Georgia
- Klea Xhaferi, University of Tirana, Albania
Do you want to learn more about the programme?
If you have questions about the Youth School, please write to us at applications[at]seedig.net.